What is it that you want in the room with you when you’re making big choices about your business?
For many leaders that I coach, the big things they want in the room with them are the right data or knowledge and their own instincts.
They also love having me as a coach in the room with them because they see me as a sounding board. Someone who’s smart enough to get their ideas, but objective enough to challenge and push their thinking to a new level.
But what they don’t always realize is that we’re not in the room alone. If I’m in the room, the Buddha is in the room too. Not that I’m the Buddha, far from it, but I try always to bring a bit of that stillness and Zen sensibility into the space with us.
And I think that’s more vital than most people realize. Yes knowledge in the room, yes instincts, yes some crazy wisdom, but don’t we want God in the room with us? Don’t we want the one bright mind of the Buddha? Or the brilliance of Saraswati?
Our work may be of this world, but your calling is so much deeper. It’s a calling to serve and create something that matters. And even if all you have is a sliver of the divine don’t you want it in the room with you? Don’t you want it sitting with you as you decide which direction to go?
So how do you do this?
- Create some space for silence when you’re making a big choice or contemplating your next move
- Let go of thinking and sink into your body, feel the energy that flows through you
- Offer a prayer or ask for guidance as you make a choice, even if you don’t know who or what you’re speaking to
- Be open to the possibility of guidance from something outside of yourself as you chart your path
- Imagine a mentor you value in the room with you sitting quietly in the corner listening
Maybe this feels too woo woo or maybe it speaks to something you’ve always felt, but it’s so simple to start bringing it in. And even if all it brings you is a little more peace and clarity of mind, isn’t that alone worth it?
When you make big choices who do you want in the room with you?
Think beyond the people in your life to the energy that helps you be as wise as possible.